Feb 14, 2010

Depth of Field

I remember this post at cgpinoy. I wanted to test mental ray's DOF and tried to come up with a pure out-of-the-box rendered image without using any post editing. The funny thing was I only had a core 2 duo machine. I cannot  recall how many hours it took but it finished without a problem.

I came up with this:
Click to enlarge
Here is how dof works in mental ray. By the way I've already posted this at cgpinoy.

1. Select your camera. Make sure to choose a target.
 








2. Under Modify tab, enable Multi-Pass Effect.
Choose Depth of field (mental ray).

3. On the Depth of Field Parameters is where you can tweak the f-Stop.
The f-stop controls the virtual aperture of the camera.

4. Note that you need to have a properly scaled scene. But in case not, mental ray allows you to use values lower than 1.0.

Here's what you'll get.

Well now that I have a core 2 quad machine maybe this would take lesser time to achieve. I haven't tried it yet. But I will need to do it sometime somehow. I will try to post some informative stuff here every once in a while.

That's it for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment