Jan 28, 2010

CGPinoy First Exterior Rendering Competition


This is the first exterior rendering competition that I will be joining. It's quite interesting because I've been a big fan of Stephen King's The Dark Tower novel and the main subject is a tower. I have read all the seven books in the series and I have so many ideas running in my head of how to approach (should I say) the problem just thinking of The Dark Tower.

Artwork from the original Marvel comic series based on Stephen King's epic The Dark Tower.



Unfortunately, the "dark tower" idea was already taken by very good render dude, which I think is one of my bet in the competition. The model has been rendered before by Manuel Molar a.k.a Destijl_Art. He was kind enough to donate his model for the competition. Check his tutorial at CGArena.com

And since the grand idea is already taken, my entry which is a bit far from the dark tower thing has to be somehow connected to this "ancient and old" theme. I took it as a personal challenge to achieve something I have never done before - underwater. Well of course it's something I have never done before as I am not a full time render-guy, this is mostly a hobby now.

My entry's theme is a submerged city featuring the tower as an entrance and a watch tower to an ancient city. Using Mental ray's parti volume shaders to illustrate the city being found beneath the deep ocean. I really hope I could get it right and be able to show what I picture it to be in my mind. Like I said it's a personal challenge as well as competition. I modeled the terrain and the rest using Sketchup. Click HERE to my official entry.

Head down over to CGPinoy.org and have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment